I've been a music lover since my first Raffi album. I was a working musician through most of my 20s and as I stare down the big 30 I find myself as a radio host and programmer for Long Beach Radio in Tofino. I love music... like all art it's as much about the stories, the energy and social impact of the medium as it is about the art itself. So these reviews will include opinions, rumors, fables, legends and possibly even out and out lies about the music reviewed. Please do comment on the music in question and add where you can to those tales. Thanks, Geoff (geoff@longbeachradio.ca)



Monday, January 31, 2011

Matt Epp and the Amorian Assembly, At Dawn

I was sent a digital pre-release version of this album over the weekend.  Matt Epp and Amorian Assembly are making their way to the West Coast in a bit so I thought I'd give it a listen and let you know what I got out of it. 

The first word is... Surprise.  I'll admit my exposure to Matt Epp has been pretty limited.  The first couple of notes had me thinking it was opening with a cover of the Beatles tune "Rocky Raccoon".... I've heard worse ways to start an album I guess.  The song, it turns out, was not a a Beatles cover.  It features some haunting ambiance from huge-sounding drums and a surprisingly fitting Spanish horn arrangement.... making the showdown theme of the song striking. It makes me want to watch the duel that was no doubt going down during the recording. I'm hooked... and certainly curious what the rest of the album has to offer.

One of the main things that struck me listening through the album for the first time was how well the acoustic instruments were captured, at least on the first few tracks.  The drums sounded as though they were recorded using primitive methods, a sound I love... creating a lot of space and depth, with a certain taste of some of Zeppelin's recordings.  Other instruments, notably the piano and acoustic guitar sound like the were isolated and masterfully recorded, not only making you feel like they are in the room but that you have your ear right inside them. I like the balance of the 2 sounds on may of the tracks.

Sadly, the other arrangements aren't as creative as the opening track. In the middle there are a few songs that are more "radio friendly" pop-rock that don't deviate too far from your basic pop formulas ("Met Someone" in particular).... It even seems that the emphasis on sound quality isn't the same (New Sunglasses)... making it feel a lot less personal.

Nearly every tune on the album contains a greasy guitar solo that would make Neil Young blush.... That, to me, is a very good thing.  Hints of Hammond organ and Rhodes piano as well as some Otis Redding-esque vocal hooks near the end of "Red Winged Blackbird" help make it a highlight of the middle of the album for me.

It's hard for me to sum this album up. It seems to be 3 EPs put together to fill the time slot.  I enjoy nearly all the songs individually but have a hard time feeling it flow together as a package.  My thoughts, listening to the songs as they are is that they will make for a good, dynamic live show but for a guy who has an unnatural love of concept albums and such I can't says I'm entirely in love with this album. 

If the surprise of that first track was relived a few times during the experience I'd be entirely sold.

I hear songs that would sound good on a mix with Jeff Buckley... Others more 54-40 and even some a little hint of Norah Jones...  Those Neil Young style guitar solos and the massive sounding drums keep it all sounding like Rock and Roll.  I tend to like music that alienates a certain number of people... I like this album overall and I don't think it would truly alienate anyone.... maybe that doesn't sound as much like a compliment as I mean it to be.

I can't wait for the show in a few weeks and I'm definitely going to have a listen to more Matt Epp.

Shortly after publishing I got a review.... ummm... review from Matt himself:

"Just saw your review and was happy to read how much care you took in listening - it was fresh air to know someone had insight into the process and the sounds... and what it takes to make the record."

And he left me a little insight as to how the album was recorded:

"Regarding the capturing of sound on the record, I wanted to let you know that we made the record live-off-the-floor in 3 days (vocals, guitars, drums, bass all final) and then tracked the keys in Spain... and then a few other things (like back up vocals) later on. So those takes you hear all had the same studio set up and separation - it's probably the differences in how we dealt with it in the mix that makes it so dynamic and changing. I'm not sure if I'll ever find one 'sound'!"

Thanks for your kind words about my review and thanks for the info Matt.

Thanks for reading and happy listening,

No comments:

Post a Comment