I've been a music lover since my first Raffi album. I was a working musician through most of my 20s and as I stare down the big 30 I find myself as a radio host and programmer for Long Beach Radio in Tofino. I love music... like all art it's as much about the stories, the energy and social impact of the medium as it is about the art itself. So these reviews will include opinions, rumors, fables, legends and possibly even out and out lies about the music reviewed. Please do comment on the music in question and add where you can to those tales. Thanks, Geoff (geoff@longbeachradio.ca)



Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Dead Weather, Sea Of Cowards

I'm not going to be the first to review this one... but I've never claimed to be cutting edge, well researched, insightful or accurate.  I'm just here to share my thoughts on music... You know that saying "Those who can't do, teach" well, I fell off the Rock and Roll making wagon a while ago... now I'm on the Rock and Roll listening wagon... it's not as good for picking up girls but I still feel needlessly self important and that's what matters.

I like to refer to my reviews as "Quantum" in nature.  Where the observer, in this case me, is considered part of the experience. Thus here's a little background on my experiences with The Dead Weather's "Sea of Cowards".  I've only listened to the album on laptop speakers in mp3 format.... magnifying the lo-fi experience exponentially... like looking though a cracked window while wearing someone else's prescription glasses.  That said, I don't think it's damaged my experience much.

The whole album is recorded very aggressively, I feel like every instrument was set up well, just short of clipping then someone was mopping up whisky they spilled on the console and, with a misplaced elbow turned it all up to at least 11.... maybe 13 for so.  The drums don't clip too often but everything else, even the 8 bit synth is jagged.... Is that bad?  In this case what it is Rock and Roll!!!

This is a VERY sexy album. Not like your Mom's Sort of sexy.... that's right your Mom has a definition of sexy and... at least once... your Dad fit in there somewhere.... I digress. This Is a VERY sexy album, like aggressively sexy.  "The Difference Between Us" in particular has such a sense of depravity, sinfullness that I'm not sure if I should be uncomfortable or turned on... so I choose both.

I guess I should mention the sound of the album in general.  Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath come to mind pretty quickly. It's not that simple though the sound is very spacious.  Both in terms of "outer space" and emptiness. Like it was recorded in that big chamber in the James Bond film Moonraker, with every piece of supervillian equipment replaced with amplifiers.  I'm a time when "indie rock" is so emotionless this album feels angry, in the proper Rock and Roll fashion.  I suppose there is an argument for White Stripes influence but it sort of sounds like their drummer is part of the band so I'll leave whether or not to make that comparison up to you.

If I had to complain about something regarding this album it would be the lack of dynamics.... I love the sound, I'm entirely invested by the end of the first song.... then, as the decibel level is sustained through the next 4 or 5 tunes it starts to wear.  Even the most braindead metalhead know you need a power ballad or something like that on an album... If it's ALL loud it might as well all be quiet... Maybe that's the point and I'm just getting old...

It's absolutely worth a listen.... possibly even on a system better than a laptop.  I always look for diversity in a album and this doesn't quite deliver that. If what you want is a sexy-crazy Rock and Roll party this is the album for you, if you want a full bodies listening experience look elsewhere.  Shit, it sounds like I AM too old.

Thanks for reading and happy listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment